To help you get the most for your money I've pulled together a list of lesser-known websites that could save you a fortune on your holiday this year.
- www.redspottedhanky.com - Compare the price of retail train tickets impartially and independently for all train operating companies and train journeys in the UK. You won't be charged any credit or debit card fees nor will you be charged any booking fees. And, unless you need next day delivery, you won't be charged for the delivery of your ticket either.
- www.skyscanner.net - Available on desktop and as a smartphone app this tool will help you to find the cheapest flights as well as alerting you when prices change.
- www.petrolprices.com - Holidaying in the UK? Planning on driving? This site allows users to search for the cheapest petrol in the area quickly and you can receive regular e-mail alerts letting you know when the prices change. Alternatively, simply download the smartphone app for up to date results on the go.
- www.holidaytransfers.com - These guys offer airport transfer services from thousands of destinations at an affordable price. Whether you want a holiday taxi, a shuttle direct to your resort, coach for a group trip or a limousine for something special they have a happy driver with a well-maintained vehicle to get you there on a budget. The service is rated as excellent on independent review site Trustpilot, scoring an average of 4.4 out of 5.0 from over 500 reviews.
- www.couchsurfing.org - When you join CouchSurfing, you tap into its network of welcoming people worldwide. You can bypass the typical hotel experience by staying at the home of a local and learning about their culture. Or in other words - you can use the site to crash on people's sofa for free. It goes without saying that you should take care when meeting up with strangers online. It would be wise to check out the website's 'safety' section.
- www.icarinsurance.com - Avoid getting ripped off with expensive excess waiver policies at the car hire desk when you arrive at your destination. These guys offer a range of policies that are fully comprehensive and accepted at all car rental locations worldwide. The excess payments on most hire car insurance policies are often over £500 and can be as high as £1,500. The costs involved with insuring a car against these excess car rental payments are expensive, at least £9 a day from most car hire companies and often don’t cover the parts that are most likely to get damaged like the windows, tyres and roof. icarhireinsurance.com offers policies which cover parts like windows, tyres and the roof and at very affordable prices (Starting from £2.99 a day or £42.99 a year). So book before you go and save money.
- www.holidaycottages.co.uk - If you fancy a break in the UK this site is full of cottages to hire. It even has a 'last minute offers' section.
- www.lovehomeswap.com - Go on a 'free' holiday by swapping your property with other registered users.
- www.holidayautos.co.uk - This site searches the world for the best car hire companies and the best prices. It offers fully-inclusive pre-paid car hire - so no add-ons and no hidden extras.
- www.revolut.com - Revolut’s pre-paid currency card allows you to make payments abroad fee-free using the interbank exchange rate in over 150 currencies. Customers with a current account can also withdraw up to £200 a month while abroad, fee-free. Check out our independent Revolut review.
Looking for a financial adviser near you?
Do you need financial advice? An independent financial adviser can show you how to make the most
of your money. Find your nearest qualified and regulated adviser using this VouchedFor search tool.