Benefit cap – what is it and who will be affected?

1 min Read Published: 16 Jul 2013

benefitsThe cap on the total amount of benefits that non-working people aged 16-64 can receive has begun rolling out across England, Scotland and Wales. Couples and lone parents will now not receive more than £500 per week, while the limit for single people is £350 per week.

How will the benefit cap be implemented?

If you are affected then your housing benefit will go down to ensure that the total amount of benefit you get isn't more than the cap level. If you are already receiving  benefits and could be affected by the cap then you will be contacted by the Department of Work and Pensions to let you know what will happen to your benefits.

What benefits are included under the cap?

The cap will apply to the total amount that the people in your household get from the following benefits:

  • Bereavement Allowance
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Guardian's Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Widowed Parent's Allowance

How much is the benefit cap?

The level of cap will be:

  • £500 per week for couples
  • £500 per week for single parents whose children live with them
  • £350 per week for single adults who don't have children or whose children don't live with them

Who won't be affected?

  • Anyone who qualifies for  Working Tax Credit as are pensioners. Also the new cap will not apply in any household where the claimant, the partner, or a child receives Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments or Attendance Allowance.

or in receipt of any of the following benefits:

  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Benefits
  • Employment or Support Allowance
  • War Widow's or War Widower's Allowance

How can I find out if I am affected by the benefits cap?

Here is a benefit cap calculator which will give you the answer