- The personal information we collect
- How and why we collect your personal information
- How and why we process your personal information
- Disclosure of the information we collect
- How long do we keep your personal information for?
- How are we keeping your personal information secure?
- Your rights
- The personal information we collect
- How and why we collect your personal information
- How and why we process your personal information
- Who your data is shared with
- How long we store your personal information
- The steps we take to ensure your personal information is kept safe and secure
- The rights you have regarding your personal information
- How to contact us
2. The personal information we collect
- We collect your email address when you register to receive MoneytotheMasses.com’s email newsletter.
- We collect your email address and IP address when you submit a comment on one of our posts.
- We collect your email address when you request to download a guide via a form on our Site.
- We collect your email address when you request to join one of our email courses via a form on our Site.
- We collect your email address when you ask to receive an email containing the results from our online calculators
- We collect your name, email address and IP address when you register for 80-20 Investor.
- We collect your name, email address and IP address when you submit a message via our contact forms on our Site.
- When you visit our Site we may collect information about your online browsing behaviour and any devices you have used to access our Site (including your IP address, browser type and mobile device identifiers)
3. How and why we collect your personal information
3.1 MoneytotheMasses.com Newsletter
We collect your email address when you register to receive MoneytotheMasses.com’s email newsletter. We usually send our email weekly, but on occasions we may send “special” updates. We only send these “special” updates on rare occasions when we need to tell you something important.
If you wish to stop receiving the MoneytotheMasses.com newsletter at any time, you can do so by entering your email address and clicking the 'Unsubscribe' button here or clicking the ‘Unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of the newsletter email you received.
3.2 Posting Comments
We collect your email address and IP address when you submit a comment on one of our posts. We use your email address: (i) to notify you when your post has been approved; (ii) your post has been replied to; and (iii) and IP addresses for admin, troubleshooting, investigatory purposes, internal reporting and insight and analysis.
3.3 Downloading Guides
We collect your email address when you request to download a guide via a form on our Site. We use this information for the purpose of sending you the guide via email. We may use this information to contact you to let you know about our guides, content, newsletters, services or promotions but only according to the additional permissions that you consent to when submitting your details to receive the guide.
3.4 Email courses
We collect your email address when you request to join one of our email courses via a form on our Site. We use this information for the purpose of sending you the course via email. We may use this information to contact you to let you know about any of our guides, content, newsletters, services or promotions but only according to the additional permissions that you consent to when submitting your details to join the email course.
3.5 Calculators and tools
When you interact with our all our calculators such as our pension, inheritance, investment and income calculators we collect your email address if you opt to receive a copy of the results via email. We use this personal information to send you an email containing a summary of your calculation. We may use this information to contact you to let you know about our guides, content, newsletters, services or promotions but only according to the additional permissions that you consent to when submitting your email address.
We keep a copy of the HTML and text parts of all automated results emails for 30 days for admin and troubleshooting purposes after which they are automatically deleted.
3.5.1 Pension Calculator
We collect your gender, date of birth, gross salary, existing pension fund, personal contribution per month, and employer contribution per month when you use our pension calculator. This information is used to calculate your potential retirement income and is not stored by MoneytotheMasses.com or any third party.
3.5.2 Inheritance Tax Calculator
We collect the current value of your home, value of any other property, value of personal possessions, current and savings accounts, value of investments, value of life assurance policies, other assets, total value of gifts, outstanding mortgage, outstanding loans and other liabilities when you use our inheritance tax calculator. This information is used to calculate your potential inheritance bill and is not stored by MoneytotheMasses.com or any third party.
3.5.3 Income calculator
We collect your state pension status and gross annual income, when you use our income tax calculator. This information is used to calculate and estimate of your net pay and is not stored by MoneytotheMasses.com or any third party.
3.5.4 Investment calculator
We collect your name and age when using our investment calculator. This information is used to calculate a suggested portfolio and is not stored by MoneytotheMasses.com or any third party.
3.6 80-20 Investor
We need to collect certain personal information from you in order for you to join 80-20 Investor. We use this personal information to provide the services you've asked for:
We collect your name, email address and IP address when you register for 80-20 Investor. We use this personal information:
- to send you an email containing your auto-generated password;
- to send you confirmation of the details of your PayPal payment profile;
- to welcome you to 80-20 Investor and send you our welcome series of emails to help you get the most out of 80-20 Investor;
- to send you emails at your request to help with logging in to 80-20 Investor (eg, to reset your password);
- to personalise and enhance your experience within 80-20 Investor (eg, displaying your name in the dashboard and account pages);
- to alert you to changes to our services (eg, changes to our Terms and Conditions or Account details);
- to alert you when you when stop losses have been triggered on 80-20 Investor funds;
- to alert you when new research articles have been published;
- to alert you to changes in Damien’s portfolio or the 80-20 Investor selections
- to send you weekly and monthly newsletters;
- to send you renewal payment reminders;
- to send you emails to confirm changes to your account (e.g upgrade or cancellation requests);
- to send you “special” updates on rare occasions when we need to tell you something important.
If, when you've registered to use 80-20 Investor and given us permission, we will also contact you to let you know about MoneytotheMasses.com’s guides, content, newsletters, services or promotions.
3.7 Internal reporting, insight and analysis
We may also use the information referred to in this clause 3 to generate aggregated, anonymised data for the purposes of internal reporting, insight and analysis enabling us to improve our Site and the services we offer. Where necessary this exercise may be carried out on our behalf by a third party (e.g Google Analytics) – please see clause 5 below.
Section 9 below explains what to do if you change your mind and decide you don't want to hear from us anymore about these things we think you'd be interested in.
All personal information that we hold to enable your use of MoneytotheMasses.com’s 80-20 Investor is stored for 12 months after you cancel your membership for admin, troubleshooting and investigatory purposes. You can email us to request we delete all your personal information for you at [email protected]
3.8 Site and Email Personalisation
We may use your personal information referred to in this clause 3 to personalise aspects of our Site, for example by tracking and monitoring your use of our website and services so that we can optimise your user experience and provide you with more efficient tools and the most relevant information. This also enables your details to be moved across our tools to speed up form filling and for market research. As part of this, we may match your personal information against information that has been collected by a third party. We are always working to make a better Site for you and using your personal information in this way helps us to do this.
It also means that if you've given us permission, any email we send to you is appropriate and relevant for your needs.
3.9 Other Reasons We May Contact You
We collect and may use your personal information to:
- contact you in response to the communications that you have directed at us. We want to be able to help you so we use personal data to provide clarification or assistance in response to your communications;
- invite you to take part in polls and other market research activities carried out by us and by other organisations on our behalf. Any feedback you provide will only be used to improve our Site;
- award you a prize if you have won a competition we're running.
We do not knowingly collect or store any personal information about children under the age of 16. If you are aged under 16 please get your parent or guardian's permission before you provide any personal information to us.
We will periodically review your personal information to ensure that we do not keep it for longer than is permitted by law (see section 6 below).
4. How and why we process your personal information
We will only collect and use your personal information (as described in sections 2 and 3) in accordance with data protection laws. Our grounds for processing your personal information are as follows:
Consent – Where necessary we will only collect and process your personal information if you have consented for us to do so. For example, when you register for 80-20 Investor, we will use your personal information to provide the services detailed at section 3.6.
Legitimate Interests – We may use and process some of your personal information where we have sensible and legitimate business grounds for doing so. Under European privacy laws there is a concept of "legitimate interests" as a justification for processing your personal information. Our legitimate interests for processing your personal information are:
- to enable you to access and use the Site;
- to communicate with you about your use of the MoneytotheMasses.com calculators and tools. For example, sending you an email of your results after you have used the calculators and tools. Unless you have agreed, this won't include communications about our guides, content, newsletters, services or promotions which we think you may be interested in; and
- to improve our Site. We may use your personal information to undertake demographic segmentation and generate profiling information to help us understand what you might be interested in and for market research. We are always working to make a better Site for you and using your personal information in this way helps us to do this.
From May 2018, you will have a right to object to our use of your personal information for these legitimate interests, including a right to object to profiling by us (see section 9 below).
5. Disclosure of the information we collect
The personal information you enter when registering on our Site or that we collect when you use our Site is confidential and except in the circumstances mentioned below, we will not disclose it to any third party.
We may disclose the information described at clause 2 to a third party in the following circumstances:
- If required or permitted to do so by law;
- If required to do so by any court, the Financial Conduct Authority or any other applicable regulatory, compliance, governmental or law enforcement agency;
- If necessary in connection with legal proceedings or potential legal proceedings;
- In line with our own Terms and Conditions of Use and
- Our technical partners for the purposes of enabling your interaction with MoneytotheMasses.com calculators and tools and/or as described in clause 3.7 above. Under no circumstances will those third parties be permitted to use your details for their own marketing purposes.
6. How long do we keep your personal information for?
7. How are we keeping your personal information secure?
Keeping information about you secure is very important to us so we store and process your personal information in accordance with the high standards required under data protection legislation. All personal information we collect is encrypted and stored in the UK. From time to time and for operational reasons the personal information we collect from you may be transferred to and stored in countries outside of the European Economic Area ("EEA"). Your information may also be processed by some of our service providers which operate outside the EEA. Different countries have different data protection and security laws and some of these do not offer the same level of protection as you enjoy under UK data protection legislation. However, when we appoint our service providers to help us provide products and services to you (which may include some based in the USA), we take care to ensure that they have appropriate security measures in place and utilise data centers in the UK wherever possible.
You may complete a registration process when you sign up to use parts of our Site. This may include the creation of a username, password and/or other identification information. Any such details should be kept confidential by you and should not be disclosed to or shared with anyone. Where you do disclose any of these details, you are solely responsible for all activities undertaken on our Site where they are used. To protect your account, we ask you to choose a strong password to access your data on our Site. A strong password should include a mixture of letters and numbers. This password must be unique and must not be used anywhere else or for any other purpose. Your password can only be reset with access to the email address registered in our system.
We do our best to keep the information you disclose to us secure. However, we can't guarantee its security. By using our Site you accept the inherent risks of providing information online and will not hold us responsible for any breach of security.
8.1 IP address
When you use parts of our site, we log the IP addresses of users' computers which we use solely for administration and troubleshooting purposes.
- to improve the functionality and performance of the Site;
- to improve the user experience of the Site;
- to track the pages and articles visited. We use this information to see which items are (or are not) of greatest interest to our readers in order to suggest other content from the Site that is likely to be relevant and appropriate to their needs
Some third-party technology we use (eg, embedded videos, social sharing) also drop cookies to improve your experience on their sites.
9. Your rights
Your privacy is important to us. All emails or other forms of communication directly from us to you will include clear instructions on how to unsubscribe. Plus, if you don't want to be contacted by us anymore you can email [email protected] This clause 9 sets out your other information rights.
9.1. You already have certain rights under existing data protection legislation, including a right to request a copy of the personal information we hold on you, if you request it in writing. From 25 May 2018 you will have the following rights:
9.1.1. Right to correct: the right to have your personal information rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete;
9.1.2. Right to erase: the right to request that we delete or remove your personal information from our systems;
9.1.3. Right to restrict our use of your information: the right to 'block' us from using your personal information or limit the way in which we can use it;
9.1.4. Right to data portability: the right to request that we move, copy or transfer your personal information;
9.1.5. Right to object: the right to object to our use of your personal information including where we use it for our legitimate interests, or where we use your personal information to carry out profiling to inform our market research and user demographics. If you raise an objection we will stop processing your personal information unless very exceptional circumstances apply, in which case we will let you know why we're continuing to process your personal information.
We will use reasonable efforts consistent with our legal duty to provide you with your rights in accordance with data protection legislation. At our discretion, we may charge £10 for information requests that are excessive, particularly if it is repetitive or for further copies of the same information. We require you to prove your identity with two pieces of approved identification. We will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you on our files.
9.3. If you're not satisfied with the way any complaint you make in relation to your personal information is handled by us then you may be able to refer your complaint to the relevant data protection regulator. In the UK, this is the Information Commissioner's Office.
Effective as of: 11 May 2018