Home insurance covers the cost of damage and repairs to your property and depending on the policy type, can also cover the replacement of damaged, lost or stolen belongings. The two main types of home insurance policy are buildings insurance and contents insurance and we explain the differences in our article, 'What are the different types of home insurance?'.
In this article, we look at More Than's home insurance policies including the policy types, what More Than home insurance covers and how much More Than home insurance costs. We recommend that you read the article in full but you can skip to sections of the article using the following links:
- What is More Than home insurance?
- More Than home insurance key features
- What does More Than home insurance cover?
- More Than home insurance exclusions
- How much does More Than home insurance cost?
- More Than home insurance policy excess
- How to make a claim with More Than home insurance
- How to cancel More Than home insurance
- More Than home insurance customer reviews
- More Than home insurance pros and cons
- Alternatives to More Than home insurance
What is More Than home insurance?
More Than was launched in 2001 and offers a range of insurance products including home, car, pet, travel, life and business insurance. More Than's home insurance policies are issued by Royal Sun Alliance Insurance Ltd and have a 3 star defaqto rating.
More Than home insurance key features
- Home emergency assistance - 24-hour emergency helpline and access to a More Than authorised tradesperson in the event of an emergency e.g burst pipes or broken windows and doors
- Working from home cover - Up to £7,500 protection for computer and office equipment (clerical work only)
- Alternative accommodation cover - Up to £115,000 cover (policy dependant) for alternative accommodation if you cannot stay in your home
- Replace old with new - If your old items are irreparable they can be replaced with new ones (limits apply)
- Student cover - Up to £11,250 contents cover for children at college or university (upgraded policies only)
- Garden cover - Up to £2,000 cover for garden furniture and plants
- Optional add-ons - Enhance your policy with upgraded cover and additional add-ons such as accidental damage cover, home emergency cover (including boiler care) and cover for possessions outside of your home
- Accidental damage cover for pets - More Than's accidental damage policy add-on provides cover for damage caused by pets
- Trace and access cover - Up to £5,000 towards the cost of replacing items within the home that are removed or damaged in order to find a leak (upgraded policies only)
- 3 star defaqto rating - More Than has a 3 star defaqto rating for its Primary and Upgraded home insurance policies
What does More Than home insurance cover?
More Than offers both buildings and contents insurance as well as a combined policy and there are two levels of cover with each policy type; Primary and Upgraded. In the following comparison tables, we compare the levels of cover you can expect with each policy.
What does More Than buildings and contents insurance cover?
Buildings and contents insurance is the most comprehensive type of home insurance policy as it insures your property against damage and repairs, as well as the replacement of lost, damaged or stolen possessions. For more information on the different types of cover and when each may be suitable, check out our article 'Do I need home insurance?'.
In the below comparison table, we compare More Than's buildings and contents combined home insurance policy but if you wish to enhance your cover further, you can do so with the following policy add-ons.
More Than buildings and contents insurance policy comparison
What does More Than buildings insurance cover?
Buildings insurance covers the repair or rebuild of the property structure and can include cover for subsidence and damage to kitchens, bathrooms, walls, drives and patios to name but a few. You will not be covered for damage to fences, gates or hedges due to poor weather, however, or if your property has been left unoccupied for 60 consecutive days.
In the following comparison table, we share what standard cover you can expect with a More Than buildings insurance policy but this cover can be enhanced with additional extras which we explain here.
More Than buildings insurance policy comparison
|Locks and keys||£1,000||£1,000|
|24/7 home emergency assistance||£200||£200|
|Trace and access||£5,000|
|Third-party liability cover||£1m||£1m|
What does More Than contents insurance cover?
More Than's contents insurance covers personal belongings inside your home including items such as sofas, furniture, clothes and jewellery. It covers theft or damage caused by fire, storms and flooding. You won't be covered for claims due to general wear and tear, however, and will need to declare items of high value when requesting a quote.
In the below comparison table, we highlight the basic cover you can expect with a More Than contents insurance policy. If you choose to enhance your contents insurance policy you can purchase additional cover which we explain in more detail here.
More Than contents insurance policy comparison
More Than home insurance policy extras
It is possible to enhance your More Than home insurance policy but this will come at an additional cost. We highlight the optional extras available below:
- Accidental damage - Accidental damage insurance covers your home or its contents against unintentional damage e.g breaking a tv or breaking your phone at home. More Than's accidental damage insurance also covers damage caused by pets chewing or scratching your furniture which is uncommon for accidental damage insurance. We explain more about how accidental damage insurance works in our article, 'What is accidental damage insurance?'
- Personal possessions - While you are covered for damage to your belongings inside your home - and accidental damage inside the home if you have purchased the additional cover - personal possessions insurance can cover items costing less than £1,000 when taken outside of your home.
- Home emergency cover - Home emergency cover is included as standard up to £200 on each More Than home insurance policy, however, you can enhance this cover with the home emergency add-on. Purchasing the home emergency add-on means you can benefit from up to £1,000 of cover if you need to claim as well as heating and boiler repairs and pest removal.
- Bicycle cover - If you want to protect your bike from being damaged or stolen when riding out and about you may wish to purchase the bicycle cover add-on for cover up to £2,500 per bike. Your bicycle must be secured in order to be covered.
- Legal cover - Gain access to legal services and documents such as Wills and have them reviewed by a legal representative with More Than's legal cover add-on.
- Personal money - With More Than's personal money add-on you can get up to £500 cover for money or credit cards lost or stolen while in the UK or abroad.
More Than home insurance policy exclusions
When taking out a home insurance policy it is important to look carefully at your policy documents to ensure you know exactly what is and isn't covered, especially if it comes to making a claim. In this section, we list some exclusions on a More Than home insurance policy.
If you make a claim on a More Than home insurance policy you will not be covered for the following:
- Incidents not reported within 48 hours
- Incidents that occur within first 7 days of policy
- Claims for damage that are as a result of general wear and tear
- Matching sets e.g if one part of your kitchen unit is damaged the entire kitchen will not be replaced
- Claims related to any garages and outbuildings unless the garage is attached to the home
- Damage to fences, hedges or gates as a result of storms and floods
- Theft if you have been required to meet More Than's 'Six steps to a more secure home' within 45 days of taking out a policy (You will have been notified if this is applicable to your policy)
- Gas leaks
- Damage if the home has been unoccupied for more than 60 consecutive days
- Repairs made by an unauthorised tradesperson
How much does More Than home insurance cost?
According to More Than's website, the average cost of a buildings and contents home insurance policy for a new customer is £222 a year (excluding additional extras) based on data from 1st January to 30th May 2022.
In the following comparison table, we have provided a cost example of a More Than home insurance policy for a 2 bed terraced property and a 4 bed semi-detached property in the South East. How much you actually pay for your home insurance premium will vary depending on your property type, property size and where you live. The home insurance policy excess can also affect the home insurance policy premium but for the quotes below there is a £50 compulsory excess and a £250 voluntary excess. For more information on the cost of home insurance and how to save money read our articles, 'How much does home insurance cost?' and 'How to save money on your home insurance'.
More Than home insurance policy cost comparison
|2 bed terraced||4 bed semi-detached|
|Buildings and contents insurance policy cost (annual)||£173.66||£332.06|
|Buildings insurance policy cost (annual)||£153.09||£332.06|
|Contents insurance policy cost (annual)||£55.46||£112.77|
(Quotes correct as of 10/11/22)
More Than home insurance policy excess
The excess is the amount payable by you in the event of a claim. There is a compulsory excess payable on some claims with a More Than home insurance policy but the voluntary excess can vary from between £0-£500. The higher the voluntary excess you choose on your policy, the lower your home insurance premium will be, but conversely, the more you will have to contribute towards the cost of a claim.
How much excess you will actually pay will vary depending on the type of claim you make. Below we list some examples of the compulsory excess amounts you can expect to pay for each type of claim. The total amount payable can vary if you choose to pay a voluntary excess.
More Than buildings insurance compulsory policy excess
|Compulsory excess amount|
|Buildings - other||£50|
|Escape of water||£350|
|Landslip, Heave and Subsidence||£1,000|
More Than contents insurance compulsory policy excess
|Compulsory excess amount|
|Specified personal possessions||£0|
|Locks and keys||£25|
|Contents - other||£50|
|Unspecified personal possessions||£50|
|Escape of water||£350|
How to make a claim with More Than home insurance
Before making a claim you need to ensure your claim is covered by your policy and you can do this by checking your policy documentation prior to making a claim. If your claim is covered you can call the 24-hour emergency repair helpline on 0800 300 684 once it is safe to do so. Throughout the claims process, you may be asked to provide additional information related to your claim so it is important to not throw away any evidence that may be required and to keep any receipts for items that may have been lost, stolen or damaged.
More information on claiming on home insurance can be found in our article, 'How to claim on home insurance'.
How to cancel a More Than home insurance policy
If you wish to cancel your More Than home insurance policy you need to write to More Than or call the number on your policy documents. If you cancel within 14 days of opening a policy you are entitled to a full refund providing no claim has been made. If you cancel after 14 days of opening your policy you may receive a refund on premiums you have paid for the remainder of the policy's insured period, provided you have not made a claim.
More Than home insurance customer reviews
More Than has a rating of 'Great' with 3.9 out of 5.0 stars from over 14,000 reviews on independent consumer review website Trustpilot. 57% of reviewers rated it 5 stars while 16% rated it with 1 star. Customers that rated More Than 5 stars comment on excellent service and a smooth claims process while those who rate it negatively cite problems getting a refund for cancelled policies and an increase in premiums at renewal. One thing to note, however, is that the reviews on Trustpilot are for MoreThan as a whole and are not specific to its home insurance policies.
More Than home insurance pros and cons
More Than home insurance pros
- Up to £1m buildings insurance cover and £100,000 contents cover
- Cover for children's contents at university and college
- Working from home cover up to £7,500 (clerical work only)
- Accidental damage optional extra offers cover for damage caused by pets
More Than home insurance cons
- No boiler cover included as standard
- No cover for matching sets
- Have to use a More Than approved tradesperson for repairs
Alternatives to More Than home insurance
When looking around for a home insurance policy it is important to compare more than one provider to ensure you are getting the best deal for your circumstances. A quick and easy way to do this is via a comparison site such as Quotezone*. Comparison sites allow you to compare multiple providers at once to find the best deal for your needs. We have partnered with Quotezone* so that you can search and compare quotes from over 40 UK home insurance providers. However, it is worth considering that not all comparison sites are whole of market so you could be missing out on a deal directly with an insurer and particularly providers that are not featured on comparison sites.
Overall, More Than home insurance has a good choice of products with the option to enhance policies with an upgraded cover option. Its buildings insurance will cover rebuilding or repairing your home up to £1m which is a generous amount as in most cases the cost to rebuild your property will be far less than your property's actual value. You can calculate the rebuild value of your home here.
In addition, More Than allows you to enhance your policy to offer additional protection for personal items away from home and its accidental damage insurance policy also provides cover for damage caused by pets, which isn't offered as standard by many other home insurance providers. As with all home insurance policies, however, it is advisable to shop around to find the best deal and to always read your policy documents carefully so you know exactly what you are and are not covered for.
If a link has an * beside it this means that it is an affiliated link. If you go via the link, Money to the Masses may receive a small fee which helps keep Money to the Masses free to use. The following link can be used if you do not wish to help Money to the Masses - Quotezone