If you have a water meter fitted to your property there is a lot you can do to reduce your bills and her are my top 10 tips
(1) Use a bowl in your sink to wash vegetables and then use this to water your plants.
(2) Keep a jug of water in the fridge for a cool drink rather than keep running the tap.
(3) Only use your washing machine and dishwasher when you can put on a full load.
(4) Turn off the tap when cleaning your teeth, shaving or washing , you can waste up to 9 litres a minute by letting your water pour down the sink.
(5) Check for hidden leaks, by taking two meter readings one hour apart and don't use any water in this hour, the readings should be identical.
(6) Fix dripping taps, you can waste 90 litres a week from drips.
(7) Take a shower instead of a bath, you could save up to 400 litres a week.
(8) If you are showering turn off the water while you wash your hair and save up to 150 gallons a month.
(9) Install a water butt in the garden to collect rain water and use this to water your plants.
(10) Don't overuse hoses or sprinklers in hot weather. A sprinkler can use as much water in an hour as a family of four will use in a week.
Looking for a financial adviser near you?
Do you need financial advice? An independent financial adviser can show you how to make the most
of your money. Find your nearest qualified and regulated adviser using this VouchedFor search tool.
Alternatively, Hargreaves Lansdown, one of the UK’s largest firms providing restricted financial advice, is offering a £200 John Lewis voucher* to new clients.