1 min Read
30 Jul 2012

Written by Damien

Damien is one of the most widely quoted money and investment experts in the national press and has made numerous radio & TV appearances. He created MoneytotheMasses.com while working in the City when he became disillusioned with the way the public were left to fend for themselves because they could not afford financial advice.

More about Damien

Reader Q: Can you claim tax relief on a lump sum pension contribution over a number of years?

Get an answer to your financial question online

Reader Question:

If you pay a lump sum into a pension can you claim the tax relief over a number of years?


My response:

No you can't. The tax relief applicable to a lump sum payment is only applicable to the tax year in which the pension contribution was paid.

Obviously one way round this is to pay the lump sum in stages across different tax years.

Best wishes

I hope that helps


The material in any email, the Money to the Masses website, associated pages / channels / accounts and any other correspondence are for general information only and do not constitute investment, tax, legal or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation. See full Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.


Looking for a financial adviser near you?

Do you need financial advice? An independent financial adviser can show you how to make the most of your money.

Simply find your nearest qualified and regulated adviser using the UK’s largest adviser search.