Reader’s Question: How can I check my Graduated Pension Benefit?

1 min read Published: 17 Jun 2011

Reader Question:

From 1965 to 1975 I accumulated 58.7 units as part of the Graduated Pension scheme. How do I calculate what my Graduated Pension Benefit will be so that I can check that my award notice is correct?

My response:


For those readers who were unaware the Graduate Pension scheme was the forerunner to the State Second Pension.

The rate of your Graduated Pension Benefit is dependent on how many contributions you made between April 1961 and April 1975. For every £7.50 (man) or £9 (woman) of graduated contributions paid, you get 11.89 pence.

But the best way to check your entitlement is to get a State Pension forecast. A state pension forecast gives you detailed information on what you might receive when you reach State Retirement age. The forecast will estimate both your basic State Pension as well as any additional State Pension (S2P). You can get a forecast online, by telephone or by post.

I hope that helps

Best wishes


The material in any email, the Money to the Masses website, associated pages / channels / accounts and any other correspondence are for general information only and do not constitute investment, tax, legal or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation. See full Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Image: renjith krishnan /