Reader Q: How can I pay as little tax as my neighbour?

2 min Read Published: 09 Nov 2012

Get an answer to your financial question online Reader Question:

Is there anyway of using my wife allowance? For example our neighbours earn a joint income of £50k (£25K each) with no children, but I earn £45K with 4 children and pay the higher tax bracket?? My wife looks after the household and is not employed so does not use her tax allowance? There has to be a way to use my wife's? It really should be joint? Can I be employed and self employed can I pay her? My wife owns our car can I rent this through business from her? She also does all household finances and childcare? Can I pay her? Help?

My response:

Everyone has an annual capital gains tax allowance as well as an income tax allowance, whether they use it or not. That includes non-working spouses and children. However, if you don’t use your allowances they can’t be carried forward and are lost.

Also they can't be 'transferred' or 'used' by a spouse. The secret is for a married couple to arrange their assets and income so that both husband and wife use their allowances.

To fully utilise both yours and your wife's annual allowances will require assets to be held in your respective names so that any income or capital gains are offset against your respective allowances. But while it may be easy to achieve this with some assets, i.e. moving bank accounts into your wife's name, others may prove more difficult. Plus some income streams, such as employment earnings can’t be paid to anyone else other than you, although there are plenty of ways of mitigating income tax for the self-employed, which can be found elsewhere on the site by using the search function in the top right.

One thing to bear in mind is that transferring ownership of assets can have CGT and IHT implications, particularly if transferred to someone other than a spouse.  But the good news is that inter-spouse transfers are free from any form of taxation.

Obviously transferring ownership of assets or taking out investments in another’s name means that you relinquish control of said assets. So make sure you don’t upset your wife once everything is in her name.

Tax mitigation is basic financial planning and is relatively easy to achieve – so don’t be overwhelmed. If in doubt seek independent financial advice or speak to a tax accountant.

Further reading:

Money tip #81 – Utilise your family’s annual tax allowances and slash your tax bill

12 ways to cut your income tax bill


I hope that helps

Best Wishes


The material in any email, the Money to the Masses website, associated pages / channels / accounts and any other correspondence are for general information only and do not constitute investment, tax, legal or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation. See full Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Image: Danilo Rizzuti /