2 min Read
04 Sep 2012

Written by Damien

Damien is one of the most widely quoted money and investment experts in the national press and has made numerous radio & TV appearances. He created MoneytotheMasses.com while working in the City when he became disillusioned with the way the public were left to fend for themselves because they could not afford financial advice.

More about Damien

Reader Question: What expenses can I reclaim to reduce the tax on my rental income?

little toy house

Reader Question:

What expenses can I claim to reduce the tax on my rental income?

My response:

You are allowed to deduct certain expenses and allowances from your rental income (unless it's under the Rent a Room scheme) to determine your rental income which is liable to tax. The expense must be incurred wholly and exclusively in renting out your property.

The expenses you can deduct from letting income include:

  • letting agent's fees
  • legal fees for lets of a year or less, or for renewing a lease for less than 50 years
  • accountant's fees
  • buildings and contents insurance
  • interest on property loans
  • maintenance and repairs to the property (but not improvements)
  • utility bills such as gas, water and electricity
  • rent, ground rent, service charges
  • Council Tax
  • services you pay for, such as cleaning or gardening
  • other direct costs of letting the property, such as phone calls, stationery and advertising

If only part of an expense is incurred in renting out your property then only the relevant portion can be deducted from your rental income.

I hope that helps


Best wishes


The material in this email, the Money to the Masses website, associated pages / channels / accounts and any other correspondence are for general information only and do not constitute investment, tax, legal or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation. See full Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Image: Danilo Rizzuti / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Looking for a financial adviser near you?

Do you need financial advice? An independent financial adviser can show you how to make the most of your money.

Simply find your nearest qualified and regulated adviser using the UK’s largest adviser search.