02 Apr 2019

Written by Damien

Damien is one of the most widely quoted money and investment experts in the national press and has made numerous radio & TV appearances. He created MoneytotheMasses.com while working in the City when he became disillusioned with the way the public were left to fend for themselves because they could not afford financial advice.

More about Damien

How safe is my money?

At 80-20 Investor we do not take money from your investments neither do you invest through us. We provide unbiased research and analysis to empower you to make better investment decisions.

As a DIY investor you will invest and buy funds or shares via a discount broker or a fund platform. But what sort of protection do you receive if a firm goes bust?


Compensation is only paid if an authorised firm is declared in default following an investigation by the FSCS. The maximum compensation is £85,000 per person per firm. Investments covered are stocks and shares, unit trusts and other long term investments. The compensation is only triggered when a product provider goes bust, or for a loss arising from poor advice rather than the collapse of the underlying investment.

Fund platform

When you invest through a fund platform your money is put into a ‘nominee account’ this allows the platform to administer and look after your investment on your behalf.

Full article available exclusively to 80-20 Investor members.

To read the complete article, sign up for a free trial or log in below.