- Uk growth forecast upgraded from 1.4% to 2%
- Inflation forecast rising to 2.4% in 2017-18 before falling back to 2.3% and 2.0% in the following years
- By 2021 a further 650,000 are expected to be in employment
- Public sector borrowing forecast to fall from 3.8% GDP last year to 2.6% this year and reaching 0.7% in 2021-22
- Personal tax-free allowance to rise to £11,500 as planned and increasing to £12,500 by 2020
- The higher rate tax threshold will increase from £43,000 to £45,000 from April 2016
- Class 4 National Insurance contributions (self employed) to increase from 9% to 10% in April 2018 and 11% in 2019
- No changes to other National Insurance categories, income tax or VAT
- The current tax free allowance of £5,000 will fall to £2,000 per year from April 2018
- A new National Savings & Investment bond will be available from April paying 2.2% on savings up to £3,000
Overseas pension transfers
- From midnight on 8th March a new 25% charge will be levied to transfers of pensions to overseas schemes when the saver is not living in that country.
- The levy will not apply if the individual and the scheme are within the European Economic Area or if the scheme is provided by an employer.
Alcohol, tobacco and fuel
- A new minimum excise duty cigarettes based on a packet price £7.35
- No increase in tobacco or alcohol duties
- Vehicle excise duty rates for hauliers and the HGV Road User Levy frozen for another year
- £435m for firms affected by business rates, including £300m hardship fund for the worst hit
- A £1,000 business rates discount for small pubs with a rateable value of less than £100,000
- Free school transport extended to all children on free school meals who attend a selective school
- Increased investment in schools of £216m
- New T-levels to be introduced to encourage technical education
- £100m to place more GPs in accident and emergency departments for next winter
- Extra £2bn for social care over the next 3 years
- New funding of £20m to support the campaign against violence against women and children
- Funding of £5m supporting people returning to work after a career break
- £16m investment for 5G technology and £200m for broadband networks
- Transport spending of £90m for the north of England and £23m for the Midlands to address pinch points on roads
- £250m funding for Scottish Government, £200m for Welsh Government and £120m for Northern Ireland Executive
Looking for a financial adviser near you?
Do you need financial advice? An independent financial adviser can show you how to make the most
of your money. Find your nearest qualified and regulated adviser using this VouchedFor search tool.