Buying wine? – get value for money with this new smartphone app (Money tip #247)
If like me you don't know your Grenache from your Alionza and buying wine at a supermarket is just grab and hope then help is at hand with the new wotwine? smartphone app.
What is wotwine?
- It is a smartphone app that provides a definitive guide to every bottle of wine you find on those baffling supermarket shelves
- Wines from all nine major supermarket chains (Asa, Aldi, Co-op, Lidl, Marks & Spencer, Morrisons, Sainsbury's, Tesco and Waitrose) are tasted by the wotwine? tasting team of leading wine professionals
- Each wine tasted is given a 'wotwine? would pay' price giving a guide on whether the price being charged by the supermarket is giving value for the wine quality provided
- Price promotions in supermarkets are often used as marketing tools to make shoppers think they are getting a bargain, use wotwine? and you will know if a wine on offer is value for money
How does wotwine? work?
- Once downloaded you can use the app's built in scan option to scan the barcode on any bottle of wine
- Once scanned you will be presented with a short wotwine? review of the wine
- You will be provided with a 'wotwine? would pay' price which is compared with the price offered by the supermarket to see if it is value for money
- You can also add a note regarding the wine for future reference
- There is also a search option available where you can search for by name store, type, price, country and even grape type
- The app was only launched in late 2013 so not all wines are available yet but 'the cellar' is growing quickly
- A great companion when you are wine shopping in the supermarket and you will know if a bargain is really a bargain
- Quick and easy to use and the search facility is great for online shopping
- App currently only available for iPhone but an Android version will be launched soon
Looking for a financial adviser near you?
Do you need financial advice? An independent financial adviser can show you how to make the most of your money.
Simply find your nearest qualified and regulated adviser using the UK’s largest adviser search.