How to check broadband speed before you move house
Having a good broadband connection is now an important consideration when moving house. Streaming video and music, as well as catching up with friends and family through video calls, has become part of our everyday life. It is important to check out the local broadband speed before purchasing a property to ensure it meets your requirements.
Help is at hand as a useful tool recently introduced by the property portal Rightmove allows you to search the available broadband speed by postcode.
How does Rightmove's broadband search work?
- when you search for a property in the normal way you can then click on a link to check out the available broadband speed for that postcode
- once you have clicked the link you will be taken to a page providing useful information about the broadband speed available
What broadband information is provided by Rightmove?
- maximum broadband speed available for the postcode selected
- broadband speed classified as 'standard' or 'superfast'
- an explanation of the different classifications
- details of how Rightmove calculate the broadband speed
- details of what services can be accessed with the relevant broadband speed e.g. streaming, video calls etc.
- a list of the broadband providers for the postcode selected and what services are offered
Can I rely on the broadband speed information for any property I purchase?
- broadband speeds provided are only an indication of what is available for the selected postcode
- individual properties will differ depending on the service selected by the current owner
- broadband speeds can differ depending on the provider
- broadband speeds can also be affected by how the broadband input is configured within the property
How can I obtain a reliable broadband speed for an individual property?
- when viewing a property ask the current owner for details of their broadband set-up
- take a tablet or computer with you and ask the seller if you can check their actual broadband speed through one of the many online tools available
- don't forget to also take your mobile phone with you on viewings to check the mobile connection at the same time
- if the broadband speed is acceptable for the postcode but poor in a particular property then don't worry you can just change your broadband provider once you move in
Looking for a financial adviser near you?
Do you need financial advice? An independent financial adviser can show you how to make the most
of your money. Find your nearest qualified and regulated adviser using this VouchedFor search tool.