Reader Q: How do I know if I’m getting the correct amount of State Pension?

2 min Read Published: 27 Oct 2012

Get an answer to your financial question online Reader Question:

How do I know if I am getting the correct amount of state pension?  Is there a way of working out that I am getting the correct amount?

My response:

The amount of Basic State Pension (BSP) you receive is dependent on the number of qualifying years (in which you paid National Insurance contributions - NICs) and whether you reached your State Pension Age (SPA) before or after 6 April 2010. For those retiring before 6th April 2010 the number of qualifying years to get the full BSP was 39 for women and 44 for men. For those retiring after 6th April 2010 the number of qualifying years was reduced to 30.

The current maximum Basic State Pension is £107.45 a week. So if you get less than this then you are likely to have a gap in your NI record. When you get close to State Pension Age HMRC usually sends you a gap letter. This will tell you how much of a gap you have on your NIC record and how you can pay voluntary contributions to make up any gaps.

If you feel your State Pension has been calculated incorrectly or you want an explanation of how your State Pension has been calculated you should contact the Pension Service (the authority that administers the State Pension) on 0845 606 0265.

I hope that helps.

The material in this email, the Money to the Masses website, associated pages / channels / accounts and any other correspondence are for general information only and do not constitute investment, tax, legal or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation. See full Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Image: Danilo Rizzuti /

Looking for a financial adviser near you?

Do you need financial advice? An independent financial adviser can show you how to make the most
of your money. Find your nearest qualified and regulated adviser using this VouchedFor search tool.

Alternatively, Hargreaves Lansdown, one of the UK’s largest firms providing restricted financial advice, is offering a £200 John Lewis voucher* to new clients.