Reader Question: Can I inherit my late husband’s state pension?

1 min Read Published: 21 Dec 2011

Get an answer to your financial question online Reader Question:

My husband died in 2008, aged 59. I'm told I will be entitled to a proportion of his State pension providing I don't remarry. Do I have to wait until I reach retirement age to be able to claim any such monies, or can I claim it at what would have been his retirement age (in 2013)?


My Response:

You may be entitled to some basic state pension based on your husband's National Insurance (NI) contributions, but only if you have not already built up a full basic state pension based on your own NI contributions record.

Technically you can apply for your husband's NI record to be used instead of your own, but this will only help you if your husband's record is more complete than yours.

As your husband died while you are under the state pension age, you will lose the aforementioned right if you remarry before you reach your state pension age.

You can only claim your state pension entitlement once you reach your own state pension age.

Finally, you  may be able to inherit some of your husband's additional state pension (often referred to as the State Second Pension or S2P).

I hope that helps.


Best Wishes



The material in any email, the Money to the Masses website, associated pages / channels / accounts and any other correspondence are for general information only and do not constitute investment, tax, legal or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation. See full Terms & Conditionsand Privacy Policy.

Image: renjith krishnan /