Reader’s Question: Will I still receive my war pension if I emigrate?

1 min read Published: 11 Jul 2011

Get an answer to your financial question online Reader Question:

I am in receipt of a war pension and a service pension. Would these still be payable to me if I emigrated to another country?

My response:

This is an interesting question. There are numerous rules for veteran pensions and state benefits with regard to moving abroad either temporarily or permanently. For example Pension Credits could only be claimed for 13 weeks while State Pensions can be collected for an unlimited period of time.

Given that War Pension rules on emigration are similar to those of the State Pension then you should be able to continue to claim a war pension if you emigrate. But one note of caution, you will only be entitled to any increase on a State Pension or War pension if you emigrate to an EU country (or a select few other countries)

But for full details and advice contact the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency

I hope that helps

Best Wishes


The material in any email, the Money to the Masses website, associated pages / channels / accounts and any other correspondence are for general information only and do not constitute investment, tax, legal or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation. See full Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Image: renjith krishnan /