2 min Read
19 Jun 2012

Written by Damien

Damien is one of the most widely quoted money and investment experts in the national press and has made numerous radio & TV appearances. He created MoneytotheMasses.com while working in the City when he became disillusioned with the way the public were left to fend for themselves because they could not afford financial advice.

More about Damien

Reader Question: Can I transfer rental income to my wife to save tax?

Get an answer to your financial question online

Reader Question:

I have unsuccessfully been trying to sell my house for over two years now. Dispite reducing the asking price by £20,000 it remains unsold. I am now thinking of buying another house, & renting my unsold property out.

Although I am married, the house is in my mame. I am a higer rate tax payer.

So my question is this:

Could I transfer my house to my wife, who is a lower rate tax payer, & if so would this mean that she would only have to pay the lower rate of tax from any financial gain in respect of the rental income?


My response:

Yes you could transfer the property into your wife's name so that any rental income is assessed against her income for tax purposes, so lowering your potential tax bill. Plus as you are husband and wife there is now capital gains tax or inheritance tax to pay upon transfer.

But interestingly it is theoretically possible to transfer as little as 1% of the property into a spouse's name and still mitigate income tax. Under a quirk of tax legislation the income can still be split 50-50 for tax purposes between a husband and wife, so potentially reducing the original owner's tax bill without giving up full control of the asset. Obviously in the event of selling the property the majority owner would receive most of the proceeds and so have a higher potential capital gains tax bill than their spouse.

But this is a complex area and I adivse you to employ the services of a tax accountant and solicitor to advise you before you do anything.

I hope that helps

Best Wishes



The material in any email, the Money to the Masses website, associated pages / channels / accounts and any other correspondence are for general information only and do not constitute investment, tax, legal or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation. See full Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Image: Danilo Rizzuti / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Looking for a financial adviser near you?

Do you need financial advice? An independent financial adviser can show you how to make the most of your money.

Simply find your nearest qualified and regulated adviser using the UK’s largest adviser search.


  1. Ian Maguire June 20, 2012 at 1:35 pm

    Just a quick note to thank you for answering
    my question regarding the tax implications of
    transfering my property into my wife’s name.

    I found your response both helpful & very

    Thanks again
    Ian from Manchester