Reader Question: What Capital Gains Tax (CGT) reliefs are available when I sell my offices?

1 min Read Published: 21 Oct 2011

Get an answer to your financial question online Reader Question:

I bought a property for office use in 1984.

If I want to sell now what are the reliefs that I can apply to the gain?


My response:

I am assuming that you run a business and that you plan to sell the offices (which are classed as a business asset). There are principally three reliefs that can be applied to capital gains on premises that have been used for business purposes.

  • Business Asset Roll-Over Relief - All or part of your gain may be postponed if you buy another property or certain other assets for business use.
  • Gifts Hold-Over Relief - If you give away your property all or part of your gain may be postponed until the property is sold. In most cases the person you give it to will pay any Capital Gains Tax.
  • Entrepreneurs' Relief

All of the above are explained in full on the HMRC website under Capital Gains Tax reliefs on property

Best Wishes


Money to the Masses


Twitter: 'money2themasses

The material in any email, the Money to the Masses website, associated pages / channels / accounts and any other correspondence are for general information only and do not constitute investment, tax, legal or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation. See full Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy