The British Airways American Express credit card allows you to collect Avios through your day-to-day spending, with the potential to earn a free companion voucher each year if you spend enough on the card.
Key facts about the British Airways American Express credit card
Best for: Those looking to earn air miles without having to pay a high annual fee
Introductory offer: 5,000 Avios when you spend £1,000 in the first six months
Representative APR: 22.2% variable
Fees: No annual fee
Perks: Earn 1 Avios for every £1 spent on the card, companion voucher when you spend £20,000 each membership year, bonus 4,000 Avios for referring a friend if they then get accepted
Pros of the British Airways American Express credit card
- It doesn't charge an annual fee, which is quite rare for air-miles credit cards
- It has a relatively low APR, although it is still preferable to pay the balance off in full each month to avoid having to pay interest on purchases
- As well as the ability to earn Avios, the card also offers travel accident insurance and Global Assist travel support
Cons of the British Airways American Express credit card
- To earn the best rewards, including a companion voucher, you need to spend a minimum of £20,000 on the card each year
- Although you can redeem Avios against flights and upgrades, you will still be liable to pay taxes and charges, so the flights won't be completely free
- American Express cards aren't as widely accepted as Mastercard and Visa, particularly with smaller retailers
How to manage your payments on the British Airways American Express credit card
You can manage your account online or on the Amex app.
How to apply for the British Airways American Express credit card
The online eligibility checker will give you a good idea of whether you are likely to be accepted for the card, without leaving a footprint on your credit file.