Most of will start house hunting by searching around on one or more of the property portals such as Rightmove or Zoopla. Unfortunately we can spend many hours just looking at all types of properties in various areas and at various prices, make sure you don't fall into this trap by following my tips on how to secure your dream home.
- Spend time working out what type of property you need - how many bedrooms, semi or detached, size of garden etc.
- Calculate how much you can afford for your new property and you will keep your feet firmly on the ground
- Be specific about the area or areas you would be prepared to live, narrow down to street names if possible
- Decide some realistic timescales for moving to your new property, this will provide a sense of urgency to your search
Sort out your finances
- Work out how much your new mortgage payments would be for the price range selected. Here are some current mortgage deals and links to some handy calculators to help you with the task
- As well as the mortgage their are other costs involved in moving house so create a spreadsheet and start understanding the costs involved, such as - mortgage arrangement fees, solicitor & disbursements fees, estate agency fees (if selling), extra travel costs, higher utility bills, extra life insurance are just some examples
- When you get close to finding a property speak to a financial adviser or mortgage broker to start the ball rolling on arranging a mortgage, rather than wait until the last minute with the potential of losing your chosen home
Engage with estate agents
- If you have a property to sell then engage with estate agents and get your property on the market
- If your house is on the market, or better still under offer, then you have much better bargaining power with the owner of the property you are hoping to buy
- Get estate agents working for you by asking them to contact you whenever they get a new property on their books that meets your criteria
- Don't spend countless hours on property portals going nowhere it's time to get moving
- Visit estate agents and give them feeling that you are committed to moving, that way they will be keen to help you as they can smell a sale
- Go viewing properties to see what you can get for your money, just looking at photos online is not going find you your new home any time soon
- If you have a property to sell then get it in the best condition possible for any potential new buyers walking through your front door
For further tips read these articles -
Looking for a financial adviser near you?
Do you need financial advice? An independent financial adviser can show you how to make the most
of your money. Find your nearest qualified and regulated adviser using this VouchedFor search tool.