What you need to do
(TIME TO COMPLETE - 2 MINS)
Below I walk you through how to get the best energy deals every year by using an automatic switching service called Switchd. So there are no excuses, as you can even complete this task using your mobile while on the bus!
Get the best deals every year automatically in just 2 minutes
- Visit Switchd and enter your email and postcode
- Locate and select your existing energy supplier and plan from a list
- You will then be asked about your gas and electricity usage each year (this will all be on your latest energy bill) or you can just input your current monthly spend. You don't need to provide any meter readings when you sign up.
- You will then be shown the best deal for you, as long as it will save you at least £50.
- If you are happy with the proposed energy tariff you then need to enter your bank details and legally authorise the website to manage future switches for you.
What happens next?
Switchd will contact your old supplier to tell them you are leaving, so you can avoid those awkward conversations with a call centre. You will then be contacted at a future date to provide a meter reading to your old and new supplier so you can get a final bill and start saving money with your new supplier.
When the first deal you switch to eventually expires or a better offer becomes available, Switchd will switch you again automatically. This takes the hassle out of remembering when your tariff is set to expire and stops energy providers sneakily moving you onto their expensive standard rate tariffs. When you receive all the details about your new supplier you will have a 14-day cooling-off period within which to cancel the switch. You will need to do this directly with the energy company and must also inform Switchd if you are cancelling.
Switchd offers a free service and a paid-for service and will only switch suppliers if you will save at least £50 (or whatever amount you set) by moving. With Switchd's free service plan you will only be switched to energy companies that will pay Switchd a referral fee. This may exclude some energy providers but hopefully should still cover most of the market. On the paid-for plan Switchd will consider the whole of the market, which means that your potential savings are even greater. For a more in-depth look at Switchd have a read of our unbiased Switchd review.
Switchd is just one of a growing number of auto-switch energy comparison sites. You may wish to check out our article Compare the best energy auto-switching services in the UK.
Looking for a financial adviser near you?
Do you need financial advice? An independent financial adviser can show you how to make the most of your money.
Simply find your nearest qualified and regulated adviser using the UK’s largest adviser search.