Going on holiday? Save time & money with this pre-departure checklist
With the children about to start their summer holidays, for many people it's time to make preparations for their annual holiday. There are a number of things you can do now to make sure your trip is as enjoyable and stress-free.
Here are my top tips on preparing for your holiday:
- Check that you have a valid travel insurance policy and that you understand the terms and conditions
- Take a copy of your travel insurance policy with you so that you have all the contact details if you need to make a claim
- If you don't have travel insurance already then read our article 12 top tips for taking out travel insurance
- Check that you have all the necessary travel documents and keep these in a plastic wallet so that you can access them when needed
- If required, check that you have a valid passport for all the people travelling. You need to be aware that many countries require your passport to have at least 6 months left before it expires
- Keep all your passports in a separate travel wallet so that you have easy access at the airport and you don't waste time searching bags and pockets when dashing for your plane
- Check if your chosen airline has a smartphone app and use this to download boarding cards which will make life easier at the airport
- Check if you require any injections against disease in the country you are planning to visit
- If you plan on driving to the airport there are a number of ways that you can cut the cost of airport parking. Read our article How to find the cheapest airport parking.
- Before you start packing make a list of everything you are planning to take with you and then check it before you leave, you can also use this list when packing to come home so you don't leave anything behind
- If you are travelling on holiday by air check out the weight restriction for your chosen airline, here are some handy scales to make sure you are under the limit
- Make sure any cabin luggage also meets the size requirements of your chosen airline
- These handy bags - eBags Packing Cubes - are brilliant for packing, allowing you to keep clothes separate in your suitcase for ease of access and tidiness
- Put all liquids in plastic bags in case of leaks
- Make sure you pack all the chargers and connectors for your gadgets together with adaptors relevant to the country you are visiting
- Remember there is a 100ml hand luggage liquid limit
- Decide how much money you are planning to take and how much of this will be cash
- Read our articles - The best way to take money on holiday and Revolut review: Is it the best way to take money abroad? - to get more information on your holiday money options, plus how to get the best rate on your foreign currency.
- Always book your car hire before you go on holiday as this will give you time to shop around and get the best price as well as give you time to read all the terms and conditions
- Decide on the type of vehicle you require before going on holiday, this will allow you to resist all efforts to sell you an upgrade when you are tired and stressed after your flight
- Read our article - The cheaper alternative to car hire excess waiver policies - and save yourself some money
- Sign up for any reward cards for airlines or hotels, you will be amazed how quickly you can collect points and you also receive information on other offers
- Always do your research on what sights you want to see prior to your holiday as booking online can save you money and avoid the queues
- Whilst you want to see as much as you can while on holiday don't be too ambitious, sightseeing can be very tiring and you may end up wasting money on unused tickets
Looking for a financial adviser near you?
Do you need financial advice? An independent financial adviser can show you how to make the most of your money.
Simply find your nearest qualified and regulated adviser using the UK’s largest adviser search.