Reader Question: Am I entitled to Pension Credit even though I receive disabled attendance allowance?

1 min Read Published: 19 Sep 2011

Get an answer to your financial question online Reader Question:

I am registered as disabled and receive an attendance allowance and also a reduction in my council tax. Am I entitled to a pension tax credit?

My response:

Well the good news is that you might be but it depends on your personal circumstances and income . The amount of Pension Credit you can get depends on how much income you have each week and how much you have saved or invested.

There's a wide range of income types which are included in the assessment calculation but also a list of income sources that aren't, namely:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Christmas Bonus
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit

So your Attendance Allowance shouldn't affect a potential claim.

So I suggest that you contact the Pension Credit helpline to discuss whether you are eligible to make a claim. You can call them by telephone on 0800 99 1234 or textphone 0800 169 0133. Lines are open 8.00am to 8.00pm Monday to Friday.

I hope that helps


Money to the Masses


Twitter: money2themasses

The material in any email, the Money to the Masses website, associated pages / channels / accounts and any other correspondence are for general information only and do not constitute investment, tax, legal or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation. See full Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy