Reader’s Question: I currently get a reduced state pension – what will I get when my husband dies?

1 min read Published: 05 Jul 2011

Get an answer to your financial question online Reader Question:

I am 61 and my husband is 68. He gets a full state pension and I get 80% state pension because of paying reduced stamps. If he dies what will I be entitled to?

My response:

The amount of your basic state pension would normally increase to the level he was receiving based on his national insurance contributions

In addition, you may also be entitled to claim a share of his additional pension (formerly SERPS now called State Second Pension). The exact amount will depend on his date of birth and will be between 50%-100% of the amount

Further details can be found in the government’s guide to the state pension, from page 32.

I hope that helps

Best wishes


The material in any email, the Money to the Masses website, associated pages / channels / accounts and any other correspondence are for general information only and do not constitute investment, tax, legal or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation. See full Terms & Conditionsand Privacy Policy.

Image: renjith krishnan /

Comments are closed.