Reader’s Question – What will happen to my state pension when I move into a care home?

1 min read Published: 30 Mar 2011

Reader's question:

On entering a care home and receiving 'full continuing care' allowance,what becomes of my state pension, is it stopped or reduced?

My response:

Here is link to the Directgov governmental website which covers the topic in detail - Care homes and benefits.

The important part is the section on State Pensions which states:

'Moving into a home will not affect your State Pension but it will be counted as income when your contribution to your fees is assessed'.

I hope that helps and good luck

Best wishes


The material in this email, the Money to the Masses website, associated pages / channels / accounts and any other correspondence are for general information only and do not constitute investment, tax, legal or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation. See full Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Image: Danilo Rizzuti /