2 min Read
22 Nov 2012

Written by Damien

Damien is one of the most widely quoted money and investment experts in the national press and has made numerous radio & TV appearances. He created MoneytotheMasses.com while working in the City when he became disillusioned with the way the public were left to fend for themselves because they could not afford financial advice.

More about Damien

Reader Question: Can I gift my employee shares to my wife to avoid tax?

Get an answer to your financial question online Reader Question:

I read the article on bed and spousing with interest. I have employee shares gathered over a very long period 13 years in fact. Can I mitigate any gains by gifting shares to my wife and selling then within her CGT allowance?

My response:

Yes you can gift shares to your wife, capital gains tax (CGT) free, for her to subsequently sell them and utilise any unused CGT allowance she may have for the current tax year – so mitigating tax.

Obviously I do not know the full details of your share holding but it is worth pointing out that you may want to check whether you can claim Entrepreneurs Relief, before you transfer any shares to your wife, whereby you would only incur a 10% CGT charge on your own capital gain up to a certain limit. More information on Entrepreneurs Relief can be found here on the HMRC website.

So seek the advice of a tax accountant before you doing anything.

I hope that helps.


Money to the Masses

Website: www.moneytothemasses.com

Twitter: money2themasses

The material in any email, the Money to the Masses website, associated pages / channels / accounts and any other correspondence are for general information only and do not constitute investment, tax, legal or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation. See full Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy


Looking for a financial adviser near you?

Do you need financial advice? An independent financial adviser can show you how to make the most of your money.

Simply find your nearest qualified and regulated adviser using the UK’s largest adviser search.


  1. reader61 November 23, 2012 at 2:09 pm

    Thank you Damien, I shall mitigate all my liability by transferring to my wife within her cgt limits and selling over a period of years. Enterpreneur relief does not apply i think as its a corporate publiv company not my own although i guess anyone with shares is a part owner?