The HSBC Student credit card is open to those with a confirmed place to study in the UK, as well as an existing HSBC student bank account. It offers a reasonable credit limit and access to some additional offers and benefits.
Key facts about the HSBC Student credit card
Best for: Students looking for a straightforward card that minimises the potential to mismanage it.
Introductory offer: No introductory offers.
Representative APR: 18.9% variable.
Fees: No annual fee.
Perks: Cardholders can take advantage of the discounts and offers in the HSBC home&Away rewards scheme.
Pros of the HSBC Student credit card
- The card combines a relatively low APR with a sensible credit limit to help foster good habits for first-time credit users.
- Purchases are interest-free for 56 days if you pay the balance off in full on time each month.
- No annual fee.
Cons of the HSBC Student credit card
- Only available to those with an HSBC Student bank account.
- Minimum credit limit of £250, although it could be higher, subject to status.
- Non-sterling transaction fee of 2.99% when you use the card abroad.
How to manage your payments on the HSBC Student credit card
Cardholders can manage their accounts online or on the HSBC mobile app.
How to apply for the HSBC Student credit card
In order to apply for the HSBC Student card, you need to have an HSBC Student account, and register and apply through online banking.