Reader Question: Can my War Widow Pension be reinstated?

1 min Read Published: 17 Jan 2012

Get an answer to your financial question online Reader Question:

I received a War Widows Pension in 1957. I subsequently remarried and lost the pension. My present husband receives a Naval Pension which I understand I shall not be entitled to as we married after he left the service. I understand I am entitled to the reinstatement of my War Widows Pension. Will this be at the previous rate or at the rate paid now?


My response:

The official line on how a change in circumstances can affect your War Widow Pension:

If you're a War Widow, War Widower or surviving civil partner whose late partner left service before 31 March 1973, you can keep your pension if you remarry or start to live with a partner after 6 April 2005.

Otherwise you must tell the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency straight away, this is because your War Widow or Widower's Pension will stop, although if you're getting children's allowances you may continue to get them.

Now on the basis that you lost your entitlement I assume you remarried before 6th April 2005. However usually a War Widow Pension is only reinstated if any of the following apply:


•you become widowed again

•your marriage ends in divorce or judicial separation

•your civil partnership ends due to death

•your civil partnership ends in dissolution

•you stop living with the person as their partner or civil partner


Your email does not mention that any of the above have happened. In the event that one of them does then you should be entitled to the reinstatement of your War Widow Pension.

However, I suggest that you contact the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency's free helpline on l 0800 169 2277, textphone 0800 169 3458 (8.15 am to 5.15 pm Monday to Thursday, and 8.15 am to 4.30 pm on Fridays).

They should be able to provide you with full details on any entitlement, given your personal circumstances, including the potential amount.


I hope that helps

Best Wishes



The material in any email, the Money to the Masses website, associated pages / channels / accounts and any other correspondence are for general information only and do not constitute investment, tax, legal or other form of advice. You should not rely on this information to make (or refrain from making) any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation. See full Terms & Conditionsand Privacy Policy.

Image: renjith krishnan /