In this article we look at the Tesco Foundation credit card, which is a credit builder card for those with no or poor credit history. You are likely to be accepted for it if you haven't had a CCJ in the past 18 months and haven't had an account closed in the past year due to missed payments, as well as meeting the other eligibility criteria.
Key facts about the Tesco Foundation credit card
- Best for: Those looking to improve their credit rating while also enjoying rewards on their spending
Introductory offer: No introductory offers
Representative APR: 27.5% variable
Fees: No annual fee
Perks: Collect 1 Tesco Clubcard point for every £4 spent at Tesco and for every £8 spent elsewhere, receive a free monthly credit report through CreditView
Pros of the Tesco Foundation credit card
- It is one of only a few credit-builder credit cards that also offers benefits, in this case the ability to earn Tesco Clubcard points on almost all of your day-to-day spending
- The account it set up to help you manage it effectively, with payment reminders and a well-structured mobile app
- Although the initial credit limit is likely to be low, it can increase fairly quickly if you prove you can manage the card well
- It offers 56 days interest free on purchases if you pay off the balance in full each month
Cons of the Tesco Foundation credit card
- There is a hefty 39.94% APR on cash withdrawals, cash transactions and money transfers
- There is also 3.99% handling fee on cash withdrawals, cash transactions, balance transfers and money transfers
- Tesco Bank does not have an eligibility checker, meaning you need to check the criteria carefully before applying as, if you are turned down, it will leave a mark on your credit file
How to manage your payments on the Tesco Foundation credit card
Cardholders can manage their account through the Tesco Bank mobile banking app
How to apply for the Tesco Foundation credit card
Alternatives to the Tesco Foundation credit card
For other options, read our article "Best credit card in the UK"
Looking for a financial adviser near you?
Do you need financial advice? An independent financial adviser can show you how to make the most
of your money. Find your nearest qualified and regulated adviser using this VouchedFor search tool.