In this review we look at the John Lewis Partnership credit card, which offers interest-free offers on purchases and balance transfers but stands out because of the fact cardholders can earn up to 1.25% back in gift vouchers on their spending.
Key facts about the John Lewis Partnership credit card
Best for: Those who shop at Waitrose for their weekly groceries and often shop at John Lewis stores.
Introductory offer: Interest-free for 9 months on purchases and 18 months on balance transfers.
Representative APR: 18.9% variable.
Fees: No annual fee, 2.99% balance transfer fee.
Perks: Earn 5 Partnership points for every £4 you spend at John Lewis and Waitrose, 1 point for every £4 spent elsewhere. Every 500 points can be exchanged for a £5 voucher, John Lewis and Waitrose vouchers sent to you 3 times per year.
Pros of the John Lewis Partnership credit card
- The number of points you can earn has recently increased by 25%, making it even more attractive to shoppers. There is a points calculator on the product page to demonstrate how quickly they can accumulate and then be accessed in the form of vouchers. A weekly grocery shop at Waitrose totalling £100, for example, will earn you £65 in vouchers over the year.
- In addition to the points, there are also member offers and discounts available, including luxury travel offers and ticket exclusives.
- You can add up to three additional cardholders to the account to help boost the total amount of points you earn, although you take responsibility for all spending on the account.
Cons of the John Lewis Partnership credit card
- It is unlikely you will be accepted for the card if you have an anything-less-than-perfect credit score and have an income of less than £6,750 per year.
- The balance transfer fee of 2.99% may be a factor if you are transferring a larger amount.
- It's unlikely to be appealing if you don't often shop at Waitrose or John Lewis.
How to manage your payments on the John Lewis Partnership credit card
Cardholders can manage their account online or by downloading the mobile app.
How to apply for the John Lewis Partnership credit card
Unlike most providers, there isn't an eligibility checker, so applicants need to check the criteria carefully before completing the online application.
Alternatives to the John Lewis Partnership credit card
- Tesco All Round credit card
- M&S Shopping Plus Offer credit card
- American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday credit card
Looking for a financial adviser near you?
Do you need financial advice? An independent financial adviser can show you how to make the most
of your money. Find your nearest qualified and regulated adviser using this VouchedFor search tool.