In this article, we review the Barclaycard Platinum credit card. This card has an attractive introductory offer on both balance transfers and purchases, although you might not qualify for the full 18-month term if you have a poorer credit score
Key facts about Barclaycard Platinum credit card
- Best for: Those with a smaller balance to transfer, who don't mind the 2.9% transfer fee
- Introductory offer: Up to 18-months interest free on balance transfers and purchases
- Representative APR: 21.9% variable
- Fees: 2.9% on balance transfers (transfers must be made within 60 days of opening the account to qualify for the 0% offer
- Perks: Barclaycard Entertainment offers 5% cashback on 3,500 events and days out every year. There is also 10% cashback on exclusive presale festival tickets
Pros of Barclaycard Platinum credit card
- It offers a good option for those looking to transfer an existing balance but also continue to spend
- It has a reasonably lengthy interest-free introductory period, although this is subject to status and may not be open to everyone (although 8 out of 10 applicants are offered the full term, according to Barclaycard)
- The perks available to cardholders are an attractive incentive
Cons of Barclaycard Platinum credit card
- The balance-transfer fee, although only 2.9%, could irk some cardholders, particularly when compared with other fee-free credit cards that also offer longer interest-free periods (check out our review of the Santander All in One credit card , for example)
- There is a minimum income requirement of £20,000 per annum to be eligible for the card
- You are unlikely to be accepted for the card if you have even a mildly impaired credit history. If you are accepted, it is likely to be for a shorter interest-free period
How to manage your payments on Barclaycard Platinum credit card
Cardholders need to register for the online Barclaycard account and will then be sent digital statements. There is the option to switch to paper statements if preferred.
How to apply for the Barclaycard Platinum credit card
It's advisable to complete the Barclaycard eligibility checker before completing the full application as this will not leave a hard "footprint" on your credit report. If successful, you can then complete the online application form , where you will be given a response in just one minute.
Alternatives to the Barclaycard Platinum credit card
For other options, check out our article "Best Credit Cards in the UK"
Looking for a financial adviser near you?
Do you need financial advice? An independent financial adviser can show you how to make the most
of your money. Find your nearest qualified and regulated adviser using this VouchedFor search tool.